|Wearing Julep's Tatiana on my nails|
Thursday, August 25, 2016
Disclaimer: I purchased this.I chose the curated box option for my August Birchbox, as it seemed like a pretty solid group of products. I think the stila liquid lipstick in Patina is what tipped the scales for me, but I'm actually feeling positive about every item in the box. But first, a mini-rant. Regardless of the enclosed card's "who says summer has to end?" sentiment, I'm completely over it. Here's why: I get swarmed by mosquitoes and my camera fogs up immediately when I'm outside taking pictures, plus it's a 90+ degree sauna/swamp every_single_day. I'm over it. Bring on autumn!
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Disclaimer: I purchased this.I did a mini-haul of Essence products recently, including two eye primers. The I Love Colour Eye Intensifying Base is lighter in color and is supposed to give your shadows more intensity, whereas the I Love Stage is a primer for either concealers or your shadows and is supposed to prolong wear without creasing. At $3.49 each, I figured "what have I got to lose?"
Both primers had good reviews on ulta.com, and I liked the idea of I Love Colour's pale rose-white base color for intensifying shadows, as NYX's Milk pencil never worked for me (creased immediately). The consistency of I Love Colour is quite rich and creamy and it does blend out nicely. I can only get a few hours wear before my oily lids make mincemeat out of it, and the result at the end of the day was a hot mess. So sad.
|Begining of day (natural light)|
|End of day (flash)|
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Disclaimer: I purchased this.I ordered all 3 of the Julep August mystery boxes, as I had a $50 gift code due to the No Excuses sunscreen not being included in my August Maven order. I admit that it was burning a hole in my pocket and when I ordered these, I actually didn't notice these were polish only boxes. Whoops. The boxes arrived Saturday and fortunately there were only two polishes that I already own, so I lucked out. Let's start with the metallics.
- Penny: burnished bronze metallic (Muse Montreal, August 2015)
- Marika: stone matte metallic (New Year, Fresh Look, January 2016)
- Rachael: graphite shimmer (Kisses, London, September 2015
- Sawyer: copper patina molten (Friendsgiving, November 2014)
- Joss: ripe fig duochrome (New Year, Fresh Look, January 2016)
- Missy: titanium metallic (The Rebel Set, October 2013)
- Mia: greenish silver metallic (Glitterati, December 2013)
- Danica: blue violet iridescent chrome (Paradise, April 2015)
- Lee: spitfire red creme (Set Sail, May 2015)
- Suzanne: scarlet with gold microshimmer (The Switchup, November 2015)
- Sam: limeade creme (Into the Sea back from the vault, July 2016)
- Jenna: tangerine burst creme (Paradise, April 2015)
- Connie: hot magenta plum creme (Paradise, April 2015)
- Ari: extreme fuschia vivid sheer (Shine On, April 2016)
The last box is a mixtures of shimmers and glitters.
- Queen Anne: lilac glitter (3 year commemorative color, August 2014)
- Judy: moonbeam iridescent chrome (All Night Long, December 2015)
- Roxanne: black and gold jagged glitter (Dancing in the Night, November 2015)
- Oscar: 3-D gold glitter (Oscar, February 2012)
- Tish: silver bell microglitter (All Night Long, December 2015)
- Pepper: cornflower multidimensional shimmer (Rainbow Bright, May 2016)
- Neely: sparkling cranberry glitter (Raindeer Games Duo, November 2014)
By the way, if you are ever looking for a site with a comprehensive listing (month/year, collection, color, finish) and pictures of all 784 Julep polishes, go to http://julep.ariaevans.org/. So nicely done!
Did anyone else get any of the August mystery boxes, and if so, what did you think?
Monday, August 22, 2016
Thank you for your patience with No Excuses - Invisible Sunscreen Gel. We know you wanted this product, and you've been waiting. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we won't be able to release No Excuses any time soon. (Yes, we're really bummed about it, too.) We want to make it up to you. Here is a special promo code for $50 of product on Julep.com. Use it to replenish your favorite Julep products or find some new ones.
Kudos to Julep for communicating clearly with their customers and being so generous with promo dollars! I ended up getting all 3 of the August polish mystery boxes and with the code only payed $10. Now for some closeups of the August items.
|Eliza: Infinite Ocean Halographic|
|September 2016 Maven Cheers to Five Years (Source: Julep)|
Thursday, August 18, 2016
Disclaimer: I purchased this.Way back in December I purchased a vitamin C serum from Memebox - Ciracle's Vitamin Source C-20. I had been reading about all the good things vitamin C can do for the skin, and I thought to myself "I want me some of that." I just finished the bottle today, so I guess it's time for a review :-)
Vitamin C is also notoriously unstable and starts to degrade when exposed to heat, light, and air. So whatever vitamin C product you go with should be in an air tight, dark bottle that gets stored in the refrigerator. Based on all this, I'm sticking with temperamental and delicate as adjectives.
|Source FutureDerm: The Science of Beauty|
Here is something I just learned a few weeks ago: vitamin C's effects on the skin last 72 hours, which means you really don't need to apply it daily. I felt pressured to use up my bottle ASAP due to the limited shelf life (1 year from opening, but then there are those pesky oxidation issues nipping at your heels), so I'm not sure knowing about the 72 hour lasting effects would have slowed me down any. The bottle I purchased from Memebox ($25) had an expiration date of 1/28/16, but it worked well right up to the last drops. It still took me a good 8 months to finish off this bottle using it 3-4 times a week, as I would sometimes forget because it was in the refrigerator. Out of sight, out of mind, you know.
official Ciracle site for $39.30. I just purchased a reasonably priced vitamin C serum from a US brand called Simply Radiant, so I'll have something to compare. I've also heard good things about Drunk Elephants C-Firma Day Serum, but I'm not quite ready to spend $80 to try it out :-)