...

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Accountability Sunday: Resolution Progress for the Week v.2

So, we're into the second week of the year, and time for another Sunday accountability session.  Volkswagen wanted to remind me that 25% of people break their resolutions in the first week, thank you very much.  So how am I doing?

My resolutions are:
  • eat better:  start cooking more and eating out less
  • exercise more: practice yoga/Pilates again, use a standing desk at work
  • declutter house
  • no buy on makeup/beauty items Jan-March:  can develop a wish list and purchase one or two items from it in April
Pretty freakin' fantastic, if I do say so myself.  That's probably the endorphins talking, because I've exercised everyday except one (Wednesday).  I'm a tad sore, but nothing too extreme.  I'm starting to enjoy the whole process again, which means I'm actually looking forward to working out in the mornings, as opposed to having to force myself to do it.  I even made it to the gym one weekend day!  Definitely progress in the right direction.
My favorite DVD's have been the Golden Earth Ankle and Wrist Weight kits, although I'm forcing myself to mix it up.  I like that the weights add a bit of resistance to the Pilates and yoga moves, plus the setting is on a beach next to turquoise water and there is no music, only the sound of the breeze and an occasional wind chime.  At 6 am, little things like that count.
I'm also using my standing desk about 70% of the time.  My back hurts from standing, but it hurts when I sit too much as well.  So, I need to find the right balance - maybe 50/50?
I made a Thai-Ginger beef stew in the slow cooker which turned out really nice.  There is just something about root vegetables and cold weather that goes together.  This is one I threw together on my own:
  • 10 red bliss potatoes, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 bag baby carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • steak tips, 1 lb. (I used some Omaha Steaks beef sirloin tips I had in the freezer)
  • Swanson Thai-Ginger flavor infused broth, 1 box
  • sprinkling of white pepper
I cooked on low temp for 5 hours, and I'd say it made about 6-7 servings.  So easy and definitely one I'd cook again, but will probably add some red bell pepper next time.
I also made some slow cooker steel cut oatmeal with Granny Smith apples (recipe here).  I liked how it turned out and doing it in batch saved me cooking/cleaning time in the mornings.  I'm going to experiment with different variations such as dried apricots, cherries and blueberries, but I could see this becoming a staple as well.  I still mix in Greek yogurt, which gives a rich, cream texture while upping the protein content.  Eating oatmeal is a good way for me to get some cinnamon, which helps keep your blood sugar in balance (more on that here).
Another way I get cinnamon is by drinking hot tea with a cinnamon bark stick and clove buds.  I got some ooloong tea at an international foods store near campus, not really know much about it.  Turns out ooloong tea contains larger quantities of the polyphenols that aid in weight loss than green tea (source here), making it a natural metabolism booster.   

Decluttering has suffered a bit this week as I haven't had any concentrated time to tackle my next project.  However, I'm keeping the decluttered areas clean and have done well in putting stuff away and tidying as I go.  I'll take that as a victory.
Chanel Intonation (source here)
Last but not least, I've not bought any makeup and am enjoying my collection as opposed to looking forward to what is arriving in the mail.  Which is nothing for the next few months.  My wish list stands at:
  • a Chanel cream blush ($38)
  • Fluffy Bunny hand cream by Farmhouse Fresh ($14)
  • IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Matte Luxe Palette ($42)
How was your week?  Are you happy with the progress you are making, regardless of whether you made formal resolutions or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment