...

Friday, June 21, 2013

NOTD: Solitaire from The Bond Girls

I've been a bit slow getting into the textured nail look, but the recent OPI Bond Girls collection finally pushed me over the edge, and I picked up the mini set.  The 4 mini polishes are named after iconic women from James Bond movies:  Jinx, Vesper, Pussy Galore, and Solitaire.  The fiery coral Jinx is the one that appealed to me the most, but for some reason I gravitated towards Solitaire for my first try of the liquid sand polishes.  Solitaire was played by Jane Seymour in 1973's "Live and Let Die", which also had one of the best Bond theme songs.
Solitaire is a soft white with silver microglitter that twinkles amidst the sandpaper finish.  Occasionally I'll see what looks like flashes of blue, but I'm guessing that is because the silver glitter is reflecting color.  Regardless, I'm liking this more than I was expecting!  The textured polishes that have appealed to me the most have enough color contrasts to keep them interesting, and the silver glitter seems to accomplish that.
I wasn't sure if the actual textured feel of these would bother me, but it's not rough feeling, and I don't mind it.  The biggest plus for me is the fast drying time!  These are a great "polish right before bed" option, as they dried quickly and required no top coat.  I used 2 coats of Solitaire over OPI's base coat, and it's wearing like iron, as I've got zero tip wear or chips after 3 days of wear.
If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you know that I always feature flowers and plants in my nail polish shots.  That's primarily because I love being outside and incorporating nature into my pictures.  I'm usually in my backyard, but I occasionally also take pictures on the campus of the university I work at.  I've gone to school and worked on some gorgeous campuses - UNC at Chapel Hill and Vanderbilt - but my current institution is much younger and consequently doesn't have those stately grounds and buildings.  What we do have in abundance in Mobile, and on some select spots on campus, are lovely, sprawling oak trees.  So, I took this picture while out looking for plants to incorporate into my Solitaire pictures.  Enjoy :-)

Disclaimer:  I purchased this.

Linking up with The Nail Files:
 

12 comments:

  1. Love how texturedit looks.. Awesome (:
    xx
    TiTi's Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you in that I haven't been a fan of textured polish, but this one is really pretty! And what an awesome tree! It's HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighborhood has some huge ones as well - they are really pretty! Except when a hurricane comes.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty! I haven't tried any of the textured polishes yet. Pretty sure I'm too ocd for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the texture would bother me, but surprisingly it didn't!

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I feel like this would be so nice when wintertime comes, because it really reminds me of snow.
    Also beautiful shot of the oak tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow? What is snow?

      Just kidding, I saw plenty of it when I lived in Boston. But for the last 10 years....nada.

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favorite textured nail polishes that I've seen yet!! I hope I can find this one - I don't normally buy OPI (it's so much more expensive in Canada than it is in the US!), but I might splurge for this one!

    I love pics of nature/trees too - I showcase them all the time on my blog. This oak tree is beautiful... I'd love to read a book or take a picnic under that tree!

    xox
    Bailey
    http://akabailey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oak trees are gorgeous in Mobile - but the mosquitoes make it almost impossible to enjoy being outside for any length of time without covering yourself in bug spray!

      Delete
  6. Lovely colour and effect!
    :) I posted a notd yesterday, I tried something kind of different if you'd want to take a look!

    Alexa

    xxx

    ReplyDelete