...

Friday, July 22, 2016

July Birchbox: Let's Do This!

As most are probably aware, Birchbox announced that their points system will be changing, and sadly not for the better.  Apparently money is tight and Birchbox has yet to turn a profit, so the points for reviews will be limited to 5 products for the life of your subscription as opposed to the 5 reviews per box (1 point = $1 in the Birchbox shop). Yep, and accrued point will only be good for 6 months. You can earn points through purchases and referrals, but the points for reviews were what set Birchbox apart in a good way.
I've definitely enjoyed Birchbox over the 3+ years I've subscribed, but it looks like troubled times ahead for the company that started the whole subscription box craze.  I've read more than one article speculating on what the future holds for Birchbox (here is a good one from racked.com), but I decided it was time to cash out my points and cancel my auto-renew yearly subscription, which ends in December.  I'll enjoy my last four months of boxes, however, and July's was a pretty solid box. I'm all about facial sprays right now, so the above Avene Thermal Spring Water was a welcome sight.
Coola has been a staple brand in Birchboxes for while, and Daydream Mineral Primer is a new product from them.  The tube contained a surprisingly small amount of primer, about enough for 2 uses.  I know people complain about receiving foils, but putting the amount of 2 foils in a tube isn't exactly the solution, IMO.  For reference, a Smashbox primer foil contains .05 oz, and this has .10 oz.
Beyond that, the primer has the slick yet velvety feel I associate with silicone, and it did a good job of mattifying my skin and smoothing/filling in pores.  I don't know if my makeup wore any longer, as it's the dog days of summer in Mobile right now, with temps and humidity that make you regret walking outside.  Bottom line, nice but not something I'm motivated to pay $42 for.
The sample choice this month was between mascaras, but I decided to go with the luck of the draw and received this Smashbox X-Rated volumizing mascara.  I really like it. 
I didn't take a picture of the brush but I'm finding it does a nice job of coating my lashes without too much transfer to my lids (my bane - I always get mascara on my upper lash line), and it has minimal smudging on my lower lash line.  Good stuff.
I know people talk about how Birchbox didn't pay attention to subscriber profiles, but they usually did a pretty good job with me.  Or I'm just really easy going about stuff like that.  Regarding, I've got blond hair so this Klorane Blond Highlights shampoo makes me happy.  I like saving items like this for travel, and I've got another work related writing weekend planned for September, so I'll take this  and the conditioner with me. 
Overall, a solid month and all items I will use. I'm sad Birchbox seems to be floundering, but hopefully they will find their niche again.  Cancelling this and not resubscribing to Le Metier de Beaute's VIP program has left quite the void in my subscription box world.  Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment