...

Monday, January 9, 2017

Beauty Resolution #1 for 2017: Out with the Old before In with the New

Disclaimer: I purchased these.
I took some time over the holiday break to mull over what resolutions I want to make for 2017 when it comes to beauty and wellness, and the first one is: out with the old before in with the new. I doubt I'm alone in coming to the realization that I've got a butt load of beauty products. While there are still plenty of product haul posts and videos to be found in the blogosphere, there are an equal amount of "project pan", decluttering, and no-buy/low-buy posts and videos out there as well.
So, my goal is to finish up the products I have if I like them or chuck them if I don't before I buy anything new in the same product category. Some how, some way I need to slow down the cycle of rampant consumerism when it comes to purchasing makeup/skincare items. I also want to truly enjoy the items that I have instead of buying the next best thing. Cause there will always be a next best thing.
To that end, I'm combining an old product that has languished for far too long (Farmaesthetics Sweet Milk and Chamomile Facial Exfoliate) with a new product that is not quite right (on it's own) for my skin type - the Honey & Rosehip Organic Facial Cleanser from Bubble & Bee. I bought a sampler pack ($14.99) of Bubble & Bee's 3 facial cleansers during their big annual sale, and this one is targeted towards dry or sensitive skin.
A look at the ingredient list (below) lets me know that there are a lot of oils in the mix, and I did not feel like this worked for me as a second cleanser, which is how I wanted to use it. It did not rinse clean and I could feel the oils left on my skin, which means it really wouldn't work for me as a first cleanser either. Now, if you have really dry skin, this could be perfect for you. Mine is on the oily side however, so it wasn't a great fit and to be fair Bubble & Bee has this disclaimer under the description of the cleanser: This product also is highly moisturizing and contains primarily honey and oil. If you have anything but very dry skin,please order one of our other cleansers.  We always recommend ordering our sample pack first to see which cleanser best fits your particular skin type.  So I knew prior to purchasing the sampler set that this one was probably not for me, but I really like the ingredient list. You can even see the honey as the ingredients separate when the bottle sits for a while.
Ingredients: Organic jojoba oil, organic honey, organic rosehip seed oil, organic coconut oil saponified, organic olive oil saponified, organic jojoba oil saponified, vegetable glycerin, organic guar gum, rosemary extract, organic aloe vera.
Sometimes combining an extremely moisturizing cleanser with an exfoliate is a marriage made in heaven, so I pulled out my neglected Farmaesthetics Sweet Milk and Chamomile Exfoliate to mix with the cleanser. And ya'll, I really like it. I do think it's a concoction best used prior to taking a shower, as there were remnants of cornmeal and milk in my hair afterwards, but I had nowhere to go, so whatever. This is me with major bedhead but nevertheless luxuriating in the prospect of 12 whole days off in front of me. 
The Sweet Milk and Chamomile Flower Facial Exfoliate ($28) is one of four different varieties offered by Farmaesthetics, and every time I look at the ingredients ( dried powdered milk*, fine yellow cornmeal & finely ground chamomile flowers*  (* indicates certified organic ingredients)) I think "I could make this". I could be delusional, but I definitely think you are paying more for the esthetic of the brand as opposed to the ingredients with this particular product. Mine is way past it's 2 year shelf life (original review here), but still appears to be fine. I do want to use both of these up though, and now I have a combo I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment