...

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

#365 Days of Samples: Week 14

I've got 8 samples to report on for week 14 of my #365 Days of Samples series, which is not too shabby. There were some winners and losers in this bunch, so let's get started!
The Urban Decay Naked Skin Powder Foundation in Light/Warm ($36) was quite nice. I was able to get enough coverage from the sample card so that I'm not wearing any other foundation. It did a good job of evening out my skin without looking cakey/obvious, and the staying power was surprisingly good. I mowed my back yard, which takes about an hour and fifteen minutes, and my makeup still looked relatively intact for that kind of activity. I was impressed, and would consider purchasing if a good sale comes along.
I'm wearing BECCA's Backlight Filter Face Primer ($38) underneath the Naked Powder Foundation, but I can't say I really cared for it. It worked fine with the powder, but I had issues with it pilling under my BB cream, which is frustrating. Considering I wear a BB cream more often than not, I'm tossing the rest of the Backlight Primer rather than fighting with the formula. It's becoming increasingly clear that I am just not a face primer user.
The small amount of perfume in the J'Adore sample card was barely enough to form a firm impression of the perfume, other than it was floral and non-offensive. Considering the notes are Ylang-Ylang Essence, Damascena Rose Essence, Sambac Jasmine Absolute, I got the floral part right, but I don't think this is for me. 
I've tried another sample of the Verb Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner ($14 each) already, and I like them.  Described as a mild, everyday formula that effectively cleans and conditions hair, I'd say that's spot on. I'm not wowed enough to purchase, but they are nice.
The Skynn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels ($30 for 8 pairs) did a good job of temporarily plumping and hydrating my under eye area. To be honest, most eye gels I've tried do the same, but these did stand out in that they adhere and do not budge once on, so if you want to clean house/work out/dance around naked, you can. I also liked that one side has a fabric like finish, as I was able to do a soft massage under my eyes. Nice, but no plans to purchase.
I also liked the Sephora Green Tea Sleeping Mask ($4), which lasted me a solid week. Using a clip will keep the top down, so don't feel like you have to use the entire pod all at once. This version is supposed to have mattifying and anti-blemish skin benefits. I found it light weight and refreshing when used over my night time skin regimen, which currently includes a retinol. I would repurchase.

The DHC Pore Cleansing Oil ($31) is a goodie, as I've used up a full sized bottle in the past. It's a thicker oil composed of coconut, argan, evening primrose, olive, grape seed, jojoba, avocado, sesame and rice bran oils that is supposed to reduce your pore size, which is an appealing idea. It does cleanse well and was an overall good performer, but I still like the Deep Cleansing Oil better. 

The last sample I finished is the Marcelle Golden Glow BB Cream ($26.95), which I also liked. I received this from Birchbox and I think it's been languishing in my collection for quite a while, so I'm glad I finally used it up. It does have a soft sheen that is skin flattering without looking greasy, and it worked well on my oily skin.
I'm doing something a little different for Week 14 of the #365 Days of Samples. I'm leaving for a work trip this afternoon, so I selected a variety of samples to take with me. I know I won't use all of these, but I like having choices so all of these plus a few more are going with me. I'll report back on the ones that I use, and the others will go back into the sample box.
The current list of samples still being used now looks like this:
  1. DHC Resveratrol Lotion (foil)
  2. DHC Resveratrol Cream (foil)
  3. Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent (vial)
  4. Skin Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Face Gels for Forehead (1 application)
  5. Dr. D. Schwab Flawless Skin Fluid (deluxe sample)
  6. Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel (foil)
  7. Sunshine Oil by Milk Makeup (deluxe sample)
  8. Obliphica Seaberry Hair Serum (deluxe sample)

No comments:

Post a Comment