...

Thursday, October 25, 2012

DHC Head Oil: Sample Series v. 2

Hair oils are pretty popular these days, but DHC's Head Oil is different.  It's actually meant for both your scalp and hair and removes product buildup.  I've been curious about this for a while, so in my last DHC order I requested a sample of the Head Oil.  DHC is quite generous with their samples, as you can select four with each order, and if you get their print catalog, they send 2-3 each month in the catalog!

My current product buildup removal routine consists of using dish washing liquid.  Harsh, but effective.  I'd prefer something that doesn't have the potential of stripping color or damaging my hair, so this may be a good alternative. 
Source:  DHC
To use the head oil, you apply to your dry scalp and hair and leave in 3 minutes prior to washing.  The video on DHC's site features a customer who puts it in the night before and sleeps in it, which may be a good conditioning option as well.  I put it in and am now writing up this review, so it will probably be a good 20-30 minutes before I wash it out.

The oil itself looks and smells very similar to DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil, which is my holy grail oil cleanser.  I love this stuff.  As in, I'd marry it if I could.  I did a quick comparison of the ingredients between the two, and while they do contain some of the same ingredients such as olive fruit and rosemary leaf oils, the hair oil has some others such as panax ginseng root and arnica montana flower extracts.  So, I'm guessing I won't be able to get away with using the facial cleansing oil on my head:-)
Initially, I was concerned that most of the oil seemed to be on my hair as opposed to my scalp.  I rubbed it around as best as possible but short of an applicator with a needle nose, I'm not sure how to get most of directly on my scalp.  The oils are water soluble, so my hair did not feel particularly greasy, nor did it take more than my usual two sudsings with shampoo.

So, how did it work? Really well!  My hair is soft, shiny, and has that fluffiness that comes from no product buildup.  I may have to invest in a bottle!  DHC Head Oil is $23 for 1 oz.

Ingredients: olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, pentylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, tocopherol, panax ginseng root extract, stearyl glycyrrhetinate, arctium lappa root extract, arnica montana flower extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, quaternium-51

Disclosure:  I received a sample with purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment