...

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Countdown to Gorgeous Advent Calendar by bareMinerals: Day 1

Disclaimer: I purchased this.
I bought the Countdown to Gorgeous ($79 with a $213 value) way back in October from bareMinerals with my 20% off birthday code, and I managed to save it so that I could truly use it as an advent calendar. It is actually my first time participating in this Christmas tradition, which apparently originated with German Lutherans in the 19th century. Let's take a moment to appreciate the pretty packaging. I used to rock climb in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and the cover of the box brings back those memories.
I typically watch YouTube beauty videos while I'm getting ready in the morning, and that's Casey Holmes in the background. Her makeup style is much more glam/dramatic than mine, but I enjoy her personality and how much she loves her dogs. Plus, she's from the south like me :-)
Advent calendars typically have 24 little doors with surprises behind each one, and you start on December 1st, opening one door each day until you finish on Christmas Eve. I made a point to not look at reviews or pictures of Countdown to Gorgeous so that I could be surprised, so let's see what I got on day 1!
Behind door #1 is the Marvelous Moxie gloss in Trail Blazer, which is a light peachy melon with shimmer. Perfect for the neutral FOTD I was constructing.
I lined my lips with Nudite from Le Metier de Beaute first, also filling in the lip except for the middle, which I left bare. I then used Trail Blazer in the middle of the lips for a pop of shine. I like how it turned out! The gloss has a cooling feel very similar to the Buxom glosses, which I happen to be a fan of.  This is a tacky gloss, which means it has longer staying power.  I find it moderately hydrating and comfortable to wear.
I'm going to try to post each day's treat along with the corresponding FOTD, but we will see how that goes. I've got good intentions, but life, you know....sometimes it gets in the way.
Other makeup used (links are to past reviews):
Foundation:  Peter Thomas Roth CC Cream in Light/Medium topped with Laura Geller's Balance-n-Brighten Color Correcting Foundation in Medium
Eye shadow: Maybelline's Color Tattoo Leather in Creamy Beige with Kevin Aucoin's Brighten, Starlight, Cool Tan, and Ruddy Earth from the Contour Book Vol II.
Mascara: The Little Black Primer by Estee Lauder and the Tarteist Lash Paint mascara
Blush/highlighter: Light dusting of Pamplemousse and Prosecco Pop from the Becca Champagne Collection Face Palette. Sephora surprisingly had a few of these on sale recently and I decided I better snatch it up this time. I like it.
Brows: Blonde Bombshell by Inika topped with Benefit's Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel in Light.
I look forward to seeing what is behind door #2 and am glad I saved opening Countdown to Gorgeous, although it did test my will power a few times. I saw more than a few interesting beauty related advent calendars this year, and I may have to invest in one going forward each year. Countdown to Gorgeous is still available from a variety of retailers (Ulta, Macy's, Nordstrom) if you want to join in on the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment