...

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

#365 Days of Samples: Week 10

I made pretty good progress on my samples this week, finishing 10 of them! Let's take a look at what I finished up and what I thought about them.
I managed to leave out the Exfolikate foil from the group shot, so I'll start with it. Exfolikate is a favorite of mine and I've been using it regularly for the past 4 years at least (full review here). It's pricey at $85 for 2 ounces, so I used to buy the .5 oz. smaller tubes which were $19, but now I see they've raised the price on those to $24 (boo, hiss).










The L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes for Body ($9.49 for 6) is large enough to apply all over and it did give me realistic color that was not streaky. It does have that self-tanner scent but was not offensive and I did not notice it after applying. I could see how this would be very convenient when traveling or for gym use. I have no plans to purchase, as I prefer lotion based self-tanners.
The Laura Mercier Radiance Foundation Primer ($38 for 1.75 oz.) is a water-based primer with vitamins A, C, and E that is supposed to work for all skin types. I only used it twice, and the second time it caused my skincare to ball up, which I find very frustrating. I am coming more and more to the conclusion that I am just not a facial primer person. I will not be purchasing.
The Tatcha Polished Classic Rice Enzyme Powder ($65 for 2.1 oz.) is a water-activated enzyme powder exfoliate that is supposed to help uneven skin texture and tone and can be used a second cleanser in a two part cleansing routine. It is supposed to be gentle enough for daily use, as it uses Japanese rice bran and papaya extracts as the exfoliating agents. It has a luxurious lather and is fragranced, although not obnoxiously so. I think you can find more reasonably priced options, although I do understand Tatcha's  aesthetic appeal. Nothing from the brand has particularly grabbed me thus far though. No plans to purchase.
The Boscia Oil-Free Nightly Hydration ($36 for 1.4 oz) is a gel moisturizer that is supposed to combat excess oil while moisturizing skin and refining the look of pores. I like gel based moisturizers and this one contains plant based anti-oxidants to help reduce inflammation and sooth skin. I'm wondering if Boscia is discontinuing and/or reformulated this, as it's on sale right now and I cannot find it on Sephora. It didn't wow me enough to purchase, but it's a good choice for oily skin.

Becca's Opal Shimmering Skin Perfector is great for mixing with foundation and is more subtle than it's powder sister. I mix a pea sized drop with foundation and find that it helps give just enough glow to enliven skin without looking greasy. I've got multiple deluxe sized samples of this so will not be purchasing, but it's good stuff. Here I'm wearing it mixed with Clinique's CC Cream.

The Keratase Resistance Ciment Thermique ($43 for 5.1 oz.) was a sample I drew way back in the first week of the series, when I managed to draw 4 different hair conditioners. I finally finished them all :-) I liked this one, which is supposed to strengthen hair fibers from within while also providing an external protective layer. It did not weigh my hair down, had a subtle but pleasant fragrance, and overall performed well. Since I have a million hair conditioner samples to work through, I will not be purchasing, but I liked it.
The Clinique Smart Night Custom-Repair Moisturizer ($57) is targeted towards dry to very dry skin, which mine is not. It claims to attract moisture to the skin (sodium hyaluronate) and plump skin 75%, and contains a host of interesting ingredients (Tamarindus Indica Seed extract, St. Paul's Wort, caffeine, algae extract, saccharomyces ferment filtrate, etc.). One time use was not enough for me to form an impression and it's probably not suited for my oily skin anyhow. No plans to purchase.
The Lauren Brooke Cosmetiques Lash Conditioner contains a blend of vitamins, herbs and extracts designed to feed and protect lashes:
  • Pisum Sativum Peptide: Hair conditioning, hydrating, volumizer, anti-aging, complete source of essential amino acids, rich in lysine.
  • Vitamin B Complex: Promotes blood circulation. Strengthens & stimulates hair growth.
  • Chia Seed: Rich in omega-3 linolenic acid. Moisturizing. Helps protect moisture balance.
  • Horsetail: Rich in bio-available silica. Stimulates hair growth.
  • Burdock: Contains abundant hair-nourishing minerals to feed & nourish hair. Reverses thinning.
  • Bio-Mineral Complex: Bio-available essential minerals including silicon, iron and copper. Key to keratinization development in hair growth.
I received a vial of this several years ago and really enjoyed it, and after that was gone I purchased a full-sized tube in November during a sale ($12). They sent me the trial sized version below, and I like that they included a lash brush. It smells lovely (from the ingredients, I'm assuming) and does not irritate my eyes. I also use it on my brows and have not noticed that it congests my skin or causes breakouts. 
I had to Google the Tosowoong Platinum Total Solution Miracle Skin Pore Tightening Pack (~$20) to see exactly what it was, which is a clay facial mask with tea tree oil, ivy extract, and platinum that is supposed to tighten and brighten skin while reducing sebum and treating blackheads and whiteheads. Sign me up. It feels cooling to skin, tight (but not uncomfortably so) when it dries down, and my face did not feel stripped or dry afterwards. No plans to purchase, but a nice clay mask.
Now, time to see the items that I randomly selected from my sample box for week 10 of the #365 Days of Samples series! I'll list the new samples first, followed by those I am still working on.

  1. Crest 3D White Brillance Professional Polish (foils)
  2. Zelens Transformer Instant Renewal Mask (foil)
  3. Dr. D. Schwab Flawless Skin Fluid (deluxe sample)
  4. L'Occitane Divine Eyes (foil)
  5. Clinique Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer (foil)
  6. DHC Light & Smooth Conditioner (foil)
  7. Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo & Creme Rinse (foils)
  8. Nirvana White by Elizabeth & James (vial)
  9. Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel (foil)
  10. Marcelle BB Cream in Golden Glow (deluxe sample)
  11. fresh Sugar Lip Serum Advanced Therapy (foil)
  12. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer (foil)
  13. bareEssentuals Stroke of Light (deluxe sample)
  14. Sunshine Oil by Milk Makeup (deluxe sample)
  15. Obliphica Seaberry Hair Serum (deluxe sample)

No comments:

Post a Comment