...

Sunday, April 23, 2017

#365 Days of Samples: Week 9

I managed to finish 6 samples this week for my #365 Days of Samples, although technically it's really 5 1/2, as I'm tossing one that is half finished. I just don't like it enough to finish it off! Might as well start off with that one and end on a stronger note.
I'm tossing the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer ($54). Having the deluxe sized sample just further reinforced that I really don't like this. I don't like the slick feeling it gives my face, and I don't like that sometimes my foundation/skincare balls up when I use it. If I pull any more samples of this, it will be going straight to the toss pile.
I was not expecting much from the Eve Lom Moisture Mask and was surprised at how expensive it is at $90 a jar. I used this as sleeping mask and was pleasantly surprised that it did leave my skin hydrated without congesting my oily skin. However, there are plenty of Korean sleeping masks that do the same thing at a fraction of the price, so I will not be purchasing this one.
The DHC PQQ Revitalizing Cream is supposed to be intensely hydrating and features an antioxidant enzyme called PQQ that is found in alfafa and green tea. PQQ is supposed to encourage cell turnover, helping skin to look skin and fresh. Other ingredients in the mix are
  • Collaxyl® IS, a peptide with messenger molecules, promotes collagen and is formulated to fight deep wrinkles
  • Trehalose firms and promotes barrier strength
  • Hops soothes, moisturizes and brightens
I only got 2 uses from the sample so I can't speak to long term claims, but this is an intriguing new product from DHC. Not sure if it is too rich for my oily skin, and although I'm not tempted to purchase, I would like to try another sample.
The DHC Eye Bright moisturizer ($23) is an old favorite of mine. I've gone through a full sized tube in the past and like this as a day time under eye moisturizer. It's a lightweight clear gel formula that contains caffeine, cucumber, and sodium hyaluronate for depuffing and moisturizing eyes. If you have extremely dry skin this will probably not be hydrating enough for you, but I like how it plays with makeup and find it works well with my oilier skin. Good stuff.
The Roberto Cavalli eau de parfum (~$40) is lovely, with notes of orange blossom, benzion, pink pepper, tonka and vanilla. It's one of those that for me was best in it's opening phase, as that's when the orange blossom was dominant. I love orange blossom :-) Sadly, the lasting power of this one was disappointing, about 3-4 hours before it had dissipated to a mere whisper of scent. The later dry down phase also smelled a bit tinny to me, although not to the point that it was unpleasant. I liked this but not enough to purchase a full bottle, especially now that I've got Le Couvent des Minimes Botanical Cologne of Love, which is a full on orange blossom bonanza.
The Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel are pre-soaked pads with glycolic, salicylic, and malic acids to exofiliate skin (step 1) and antiaging actives such as retinol, resveratrol, camellia sinensis leaf extract, and radish root extracts to nourish skin (step 2). I like these, but the price ($88 for 35 pads) is higher than I want to pay. I'll continue to use any samples that come my way though.
Okay, time for the 7 samples I randomly selected for week 9 of my #365 Days of Samples series! I'll list these first, followed by the samples that I am still (still!) working on.
  1. Platinum Total Solution Miracle Skin Pore Tighting Pack by Tosowoong (foil)
  2. Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes for Body by L'Oreal (foil)
  3. Radiance Foundation Primer by Laura Mercier(foil)
  4. Clinique Smart Night Custom Repair Moisturizer (foil)
  5. Tatcha Polished Classic Rice Enzyme Powder (foil)
  6. Nirvana White by Elizabeth & James (vial)
  7. Kate Somerville Exfolikate
  8. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid Highlighter in Opal (foil)
  9. Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel (foil)
  10. Marcelle BB Cream in Golden Glow (deluxe sample)
  11. fresh Sugar Lip Serum Advanced Therapy (foil)
  12. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer (foil)
  13. Lauren Brooke Cosmetiques Lash Conditioner (deluxe sample)
  14. bareEssentuals Stroke of Light (deluxe sample)
  15. boscia Oil-Free Night Hydrator (deluxe sample)
  16. Keratase Resistance Vita Cemont Topseal hair reconstructing milk (foil)
  17. Sunshine Oil by Milk Makeup (deluxe sample)
  18. Obliphica Seaberry Hair Serum (deluxe sample)

No comments:

Post a Comment