...

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Coral Family Lip Shades for Spring: Swatches and Comparisons

I'm sure everyone has certain colors that they gravitate towards, and when it comes to lip shades, for me it's coral.  I've been wanting to do a comparison post on the coral lip colors that I own for a while, and finally managed to get it done this past weekend!  Hopefully this will (a) help me cut down on buying the same color over and over again and (b) help with color comparisons/potential dupes.  If available, I'll link to my original reviews.
Coral spectrum
I hate to start with a discontinued item, but fortunately a close dupe is Revlon's Unapologetic ($7-$8), so there is that.  Buxom Miami (no longer available) is a matte flamingo coral pink and was part of the 2011 Mix & Mingle holiday set.  I prefer Miami's formula over Unapologetic's, but whaddya gonna do?  (I'm watching Donnie Brasco as I'm typing this).
A slightly darker version of this color is another no longer available item, the LE L'Oreal Colour Riche Le Matte in She's So Matte.  Good formula, although a bit drying on my lips.  These 3 colors are pushing the boundaries on the darker end of the coral spectrum, and I like 'em.
L'Oreal She's So Matte
Next up is Giorgio Armani's Rouge Ecstasy in 501 Peony ($34).  This one has a great formula that is lightweight, comfortable to wear, and just quite lovely all around.  Expensive, but it delivered for me.
Peony 501
The next 3 options are warmer in tone, with more of an orange than pink undertone.  NYX's Etra Creamy Round Lipstick in Margarita ($4) has a pearl finish which gives it a bit of shimmer.  I found the formula a bit waxy, but considering the price, not a bad option overall. 
NYX Margarita
Next is probably my favorite coral to date, Clarins' Joli Rouge Coral Tulip ($27).  I love it's glossiness and that it provides a translucent but vibrant pop of color, like colored cellophane paper.
Clarin's Coral Tulip
And then there's MAKE's Miami Beach Silk Lipstick ($25), a satin finish that I found a bit problematic formula wise, with it's unforgiving tendency to magnify lip imperfections.   
MAKE Miami Beach
The last four shades are more in the flamingo pink coral camp, with two being limited editions that are no longer available. 
For both a great formula and good price, you can't go wrong with Maybelline's Color Sensational Vivids Lip Color in Shocking Coral ($7-$8).  Nothing to complain about here, as it's all good.
Shocking Coral
Elizabeth Arden's Sunrise Glossy Stick  ($19.50) was a limited edition color released for last year's spring/summer collection, and it's a really nice glossy coral pink.  I'm not sure why I never got around to reviewing it, but it's certainly not because I didn't like it.  They are still available at beauty.com if anyone is interested.
Sunrise
BITE Beauty's matte lip crayon in Sweety ($24) is another LE item which I'm pretty sure is unavailable anywhere. 
However, Cailyn's Coral lip balm is close in color and also has a matte finish, so it's a possible option if this color appeals to you.
Cailyn Coral
So there you go, 11 coral lip shades of different intensities and finishes, and definitely my go to color family for spring!
Maybelline Shocking Coral

No comments:

Post a Comment