...

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Empties! Products I Used Up (or Tossed) in May

Disclaimer:  I purchased these.
May was a pretty good month when it came to using up some staples as well as tossing some items that had expired for just were not doing it for me.  So, let's get to it!
  • Boscia Self-Dense Vital Antioxidant Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (x2 deluxe samples:  This has been my moisturizer/sun screen of choice for the last few months, and was part of a Boscia haul I got last July (see here).  One tube expired in December and one in May, so they were definitely on/past of cusp of needing to be used up.  I liked them quite a bit, as they were lightweight and worked well with my oily skin.
  • Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Conditioner (deluxe sample):  I got this as part of a set during Sephora's Black Friday deals.  It was okay, nothing that really stood out to me.
  • Yes to Grapefruit Brightening Facial Towelettes (full size):  I tend to use facial towelettes mainly on the weekends when I not wearing makeup as a way to degrease my face.  I especially like keeping them in the refrigerator and using them to cool down after mowing the grass.
  • Garnier Fructis Style Anti-Humidifier Hairspray (full size):  I live in an uber humid climate, especially in the warm weather months.  By uber humid, I mean anywhere from 60%-90% in the summer.  Think pea soup.  Good for the skin, or at least that's what I tell myself.  Not so good for straight hair, however.  This hairspray was decent and did the job in Mobile's extreme humidity, so would probably work great for those in a less humid climate.
Mobile, AL humidity levels
  • Hello by Harvey Prince Shower Gel (deluxe sample):  I liked the scent of this, very refreshing.
  • Clarin's Multi-Active Day Cream (deluxe sample):  I enjoyed using the sample, but not enough to invest $59 for the full-sized version.
  • Clarin's Toning Lotion with Iris (deluxe sample):  Formulated for oily skin, I thought this alcohol free toner did a good job without stripping the skin.  In general, I've enjoyed the Clarin's toners I've tried.
  • pur-lisse pur-delicate Gentle Soy Milk Cleanser (deluxe sample):  I was very pleasantly surprised by the milky, non-foaming cleanser.  I've got a more detailed review coming up on cleansers in my rotation, so I'll go into more detail then.
  • Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydrating Revitalizing Eye Mask (1 set):  Very nice, full review upcoming.
  • Versace Crystal Noir (sample):  I enjoyed Crystal Noir and found it to be lush without veering into overly sweet or cloying territory, something that's a real possibility with some of the notes listed.  In general I do not like this type of sample as rarely is there enough in it to get a true sense of the perfume, but I do like how they list the notes on the lift off foil.
  •  Clean Skin (sample):  I was prepared to hate Clean Skin, but I didn't.  I may have even liked it, if it was just a tad bit stronger/longer lasting.  Granted, it's a skin scent, but it's an almost non-existent skin scent.  Fortunately it was more floral/musk as opposed to soapy/laundry sheet, which made it's ephemeral nature quite pleasing.  I mixed the entire vial with a non-scented body lotion and am going to try that with more of my ever growing pile of perfume samples.
  • stila Indigo Stay All Day Liquid Eye Liner (full-size):  The tip had become frayed and the liquid pigment was no longer smooth, so it was time to toss this baby.  Full review here.
  • davines MINU Shampoo (deluxe sample):  I enjoyed this color-protective shampoo quite a bit, from it's gentle/low lather to the scent.  I'd buy a full-sized bottle.
  • Brightening Essence by L'Occitane (foil sample):  not really enough to tell one way or another.
I also tossed some items:
  • Miracle Skin Transformer SPF 20 (deluxe sample): expired.
  •  Benefit's Watts Up (sample):  I took this with me to DC recently and just found it irritating to use, so I tossed it.
  • Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum (deluxe sample):  sadly, this had gone bad.  Or at least I'm pretty sure it had, based on it's barnyard scent, which I would describe as hay mixed with fecal matter.  I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to smell like that.  Too bad, and a good lesson for me to use up the natural product samples I get pronto, as they have a much shorter shelf life.
 
  • stila Lip Glaze:  I hate click pens, and have decided that in general I'm just not a fan of stila Lip Glaze formua - too sticky.  So, rather then just letting this take up space....
  • LipFusion XXL Lip Plumper:  This is brand new, but I don't really need a lip plumper and am a bit leery of how much my lips sting after applying. 
Progress, and a good reminder to check my products for expiration dates as soon as I get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment