...

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Toucan Matte Lippie Stix by ColourPop

I recently picked up 3 lippie stix's in different finishes from ColourPop: the matte Toucan, the satin Topanga, and the glossy Tipsy.  Today I'm showing you the matte Toucan, described by ColourPop as:
"Two can tango in this bright pinky red coral in a Matte finish"
I love a good matte lipstick, and the texture of Toucan is dryer than both the satin or glossy finish of the lippie stix I have.  It tugs slightly against the lip when you apply, although the color goes on smoothly.  The initial finish has a slight sheen to it, which dissipates after an hour or so to a true matte finish.
 
I would not call this a particularly comfortable matte formula, as after 3 hours or so my lips felt quite dry, to the point where it was hard to rub them together.  Prepping your lips (exfoliating, moisturizing, and possible wearing a lip primer) will be important, which is typically the case with most matte finishes.  Toucan wore well for about 4 hours but did not survive dinner, which faded the color in the center of my lips.  I will say my lips did not feel worse for the wear the next day.

I think skin tone will determine how pink or red Toucan leans, and on my fair but warm tone complexion I see more pink than red.
To prep my lips I typically wear a very emollient lip balm (Julep's Strawberry-Min lip balm is my current balm of choice) while I'm applying my other makeup.  I then use a tissue to wipe off the balm and exfoliate my lips.  Afterwards, I apply a dryer lip balm, with my long term favorite being Mongo Kiss in Vanilla Honey.  I've been testing Urban Decay's Ultimate Ozone multipurpose primer pencil, which I applied over Mongo Kiss.  Considering my lips still felt dry once I applied Toucan, it's definitely not one of the more comfortable matte formulas I've tried.
Regardless, gorgeous color and at $5 a pop, a great budget matte lipstick option!

No comments:

Post a Comment