...

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Yes to Tomatoes Clear Skin Daily Pore Scrub

Having recently ventured into the Yes To... brand with the Yes to Blueberries Cleansing Facial Towelettes, I was excited to see some Yes to Tomatoes products on sale for 75% off at Rite Aid recently.  The Yes to Tomatoes line is for oily and acne prone skin, a category I can click "yes" to.  The Clear Skin Daily Pore Scrub contains a blend of Ginger Root and Bisabolol, an extract derived from the Candeia tree in the Brazillian rainforest, to help reduce redness, sooth irritated skin, and calm inflammation.  The scrub also contains 2% salicylic acid to help unclog pores, break down blemishes, and control oil.  The scrubbing granules come from ground mango seed and bamboo.  Oh, and it's 97% natural!

This is a gentle scrub that can be used daily.  In my experience, it's not a cleanser, so I wouldn't use it expecting to remove makeup.  I use it in the mornings in the shower or at night after removing makeup with cleansing oil.  This is not a vigorous scrub, as the granules are somewhat sparse and rather soft.  After massaging my face for a bit, I like to leave the scrub on for about a minute to let the ingredients do their work, which is also why it's ideal for shower use.  It could be just the way my suspicious mind works, but I question how effective cleansers are in treating skin if they are only on the skin for a short time. 

I was curious as to what the recommendations are for levels of salicylic acid in acne products, and one source said to look for concentrations of 1-2%.  A 1% concentration is good for sensitive skin types, with 2% best for stubborn acne.  Given that you are rinsing away cleansers, the level of salicylic acid left on the skin would be minimal at best, I would think.  However, there is a warning on the tube that says "Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are using other topical acne medication at the same time or immediately following use of this product, as it may increase dryness or irritation of the skin".  I use a toner immediately after that contains salicylic acid and have experienced no problems.

The Daily Pore Scrub retails for $9.99, and I paid about $2.49 with the 75% off sale.  I like the scrub and think it would be a good option for those who do not want an abrasive scrub but do want the benefits of exfoliation for acne prone skin.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment