...

Friday, January 25, 2013

Showy Toffee by Alice & Peter

Source:  Alice & Peter Facebook
“Irresistible Temptation! Veering on the side of quirkiness, the unmistakable scent of freshly cut grass takes on a lemony allure. Rose, lilac and freesia enchant with whimsical brilliance. Finally, never short on audacity, amber and caramelized chocolate strut arm in arm into a patchouli parade.”
Showy Toffee by Alice & Peter is the fourth cupcake perfume in the series of five that I have sampled, and my second favorite after Bloody Orange.  The name is a bit of a misnomer, as I don't smell toffee in this perfume.  Notes listed are:
Top notes: lemon and fresh cut grass.
Heart: rose, lilac, freesia, water flowers and ozone notes.
Base: amber, vanilla, caramel, chocolate and patchouli.
Bet you weren't expecting fresh cut grass in there, were you?  I know I wasn't, and my nose certainly didn't register it.  However, the first spritz does have a fresh brightness to it that is probably a result of those lemon and grass top notes.  That initial freshness dissipates as the floral notes emerge and are warmed by amber and patchouli.  The scent stabilizes to a warm, slightly sweetened amber essence that has provided a nice atmospheric balance for the rawness of the chilly and rainy days that have predominated this past week.
Showy Toffee also has a bit more sillage and lasting power than the other Alice & Peter perfumes I've tried thus far.  Would that it was longer, however, as after one hour I can still smell it by sniffing my wrist, but it is close to the body.  After 3 hours, I can no longer smell it at all.

I'm fond of amber based scents and do not have negative associations of patchouli (dirty, hippy, BO), so that definitely influences my opinion of Showy Toffee.  There is also skin chemistry to take into account, as when I spray Showy Toffee on paper, it quickly goes stale and a bit sour.  On my skin, however, there is no hints of unpleasantness.  Ultimately, however, the quick disappearance of any scent at all makes Showy Toffee not worth a bottle investment for me.
If you would like to try the Alice & Peter perfumes, a sampler of all five scents is available for $10.

Disclaimer:  I purchased this.

No comments:

Post a Comment