...

Monday, July 23, 2012

Clinique Stay Matte Oil Free Makeup in Neutral

I'm always interested in any product that promises a less shiny face, so I was excited to try  Clinique's new Stay Matte Oil-Free Makeup.  I got a sample of the shade Neutral in one of my recent Sephora purchases, and fortunately that color selection worked well.  There was enough product in the sample packet to get several days worth of use, so I think I got a pretty good feel for how it performed.

Here's the description for Stay Matte on Clinique's site:
Tested for streaking and fading at 88°F with a constant 80% humidity, all to prove Stay-Matte stays fresh. At the same time, this patent-pending formula absorbs shine, controls oil, resists sweat. And you stay matte all day.
Well, I live in a climate where temps above 88°F with a constant 80% humidity are the norm, plus I've got oily skin, so I'm a good test market. 

Stay Matte has a creamy texture that blended well and provided light to medium coverage.  On the downside, it does not contain an SPF.  For me, at least, lotion SPF's leave my face quite shiny, which wars against my foundation.  I've been using a powder SPF product from Peter Thomas Roth that helps with this issue.  I'm wondering if Clinique did not include a SPF because they do not lend themselves to mattifying?  
Stay Matte in Neutral
Sadly, the claims of oil control and resisting shine all day were not true for me.  To be fair, I've yet to find any product that could live up to that claim for my oily skin.  I did like the coverage and feel of Stay Matte, and at $23 for 1 oz., it's not super expensive.  It also comes in 29 different shades, which is pretty impressive.

I can't say that my sample motivated me to purchase the full size, however.  I'm pretty pleased with the Skinfood BB cream I've been using this summer, and it has a SPF and costs less.  I'm glad I got a chance to try this out though - I certainly don't want to miss out on something that could possible tame my oily skin!
Outdoor light
Indoor light
 Disclosure:  I received a sample in a Sephora purchase.

1 comment:

  1. you are awesome! thank you SO much for linking up with #yolomondays!! hope to see you back again tomorrow! :) :)

    ReplyDelete