...

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dinair Airbrush Foundation without the Airbrush

Disclaimer:  I purchased this.
I watched a video not too long ago about applying airbrush foundation with a brush (you can see it here).  Intrigued, I ordered a sampler set in medium from Dinair, one of the brands mentioned in the video.  Water resistant, silicone free, paraben free, and not tested on animals, the sample set included five different colors.  The colors in the swatches below are: 
  • Light Golden Beige
  • Dark Golden Beige 
  • Honey Beige
  • Golden Tan
  • Bronze 
The foundation will separate, so each bottle has little balls inside (kind of like a spray paint can), and you will need to shake vigorously prior to using.  While these are small containers at 3 ml each, I'm finding that I need only about 8 drops to completely cover my face, so a little goes a long way. 
The consistency is a thin watery liquid, so I apply the drops in a mixing tray and then dab my brush in the tray to pick up the foundation.  An added plus, it's extremely easy to mix the colors and therefore customize your color. The first four shades are close in color, but it is easier to make out the differences in person.
These remind me very much of a now discontinued foundation by Clinique I used as a teenager, both in the consistency and having to shake it to mix the pigment.  My skin is extremely oily (even more so when I was a teen), and that foundation was the only one I could wear with any success.  My skin is in oil overproduction drive right now due to the heat and humidity, so this is kind of like the worst case scenario for testing a foundation:-)
Trish McEnvoy Mistake Proof Sheer Application brush
What I really liked about Dinair was that it applies smoothly and coverage can be built up without any resulting caking or mask like results.  I'm using the Trish McEnvoy Mistake Proof Sheer Application brush to apply, and the foundation does not settle into my pores and has a semi-matte finish.  There are actually some very fine shimmers in the foundation that help to keep it from looking too matte or chalky, yet there is no obvious shimmer in the finish. 
Wearing Light and Dark Golden Beige mixed half and half
What I didn't like is that the oil from my skin starts to break through very quickly.  I'm using a facial primer per usual, along with Lancome's Dual Finish as my setting powder, yet my face gets shiny before I leave the house.  I'm a bit surprised, even taking into account that my skin is in oil hyperdrive right now, as this foundation was created to withstand more extreme conditions such as the hot lights used in the entertainment industry.  Hmm, I suppose I could be the Sahara desert of test conditions as far as oily skin goes. 
Glowing a bit too much for so early in the day
Revlon's Colorstay Whipped Creme Foundation does a better job of controlling the oil, but I do like Dinair's light texture enough that it may become a good choice for winter use, when my skin calms down a bit.  The sampler set sells for $19.99, and I purchased mine from Dinair's online site.  Shipping was fast and I had the product within a few days. 

2 comments:

  1. Agh, I have yet to check out the revlon color stay whipped foundation! They are never on sale, ~20 is a bit much for drugstore foundation so I am waiting for the price to go down a bit..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate enough to buy my Revlon when they were 40% off, which the drugstores here seem to do periodically.

      Delete