...

Friday, August 9, 2013

NOTD: Jessica by Julep and Blue Marks the Spot by Maybelline

I kept feeling a sense of deja vu when I looked at Jessica on my nails, and then it hit me - Blu by Zoya!  I wore Blu back in May and remember liking it more than I expected, and Jessica is proving quite pleasing as well.  Jessica is just a tad darker and bluer than Blu, so they are not dupes, but definitely in the same spectrum.
Jessica by Julep
Blu by Zoya
Jessica's formula was lovely and what you are looking at is one coat over OPI's base coat with Butter London's quick dry top coat.  I did notice a few lighter spots on my thumb in some pictures, but nothing that was really evident.  I know I'm partial to these shades of blue at least in part because it's Carolina blue (my UNC alma mater), but I also like them because they look so striking and fresh on.  Truly lovely!
I chose Jessica as the base for one of the Maybelline Polka Dot polishes, Blue Marks the Spot.  I used two coats of the medium blue jelly with black and white multi-sized glitter over Jessica, and I couldn't be happier with the results!  The color turned out to be a more vibrant blue than either of the two polishes on their own, and I've gotten more remarks on this manicure than any in recent memory.  I'm going on 7 days of wear now with zero chips and almost nil tip wear.  I'm interested in trying Blue Marks the Spot over some other colors to see what I end up with!
Disclaimer:  I purchased this.

Linking up with The Nail Files hosted by Well Shut the Front Door!

 

11 comments:

  1. Love the nails, as usual! Its a really pretty combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS! I can't believe how shiny and perfect they look! I have Blu by Zoya as well (my only Zoya polish, actually) and find it takes at least three coats to really be opaque. The fact that you got pretty good coverage with just one coat of Jessica and it's *almost* the same colour makes me want to order my own! :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how nice Jessica's formula was - as Julep's polishes are not always easy to work with. It will be my go to polish for this color now!

      Delete
  3. that's awesome you only needed one coat. I like these polka dot polishes, I have pink and green, although they are so horrible to remove, maybe over a base like this it wouldn't be as bad!

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, glitter polish is a pain in the butt to remove. I use the foil method, which makes it somewhat easier.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! Love the colors! :)

    - Toria
    http://toriamasons-treasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both of those blues. I haven't tried the polka dot polishes yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love blue polishes, and that "polka dots" polish adds the perfect touch!! That's such a fun bottle of dots ;)

    xox
    Bailey
    http://akabailey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using a base color looks better than using the glitter alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that blue under the polka dots! So unique:)
    xo
    Andrea
    Boho Bunnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blue is so pretty! I love the glitter too :)

    ReplyDelete